clap clap blog: we have moved
Thursday, May 01, 2003
One for Jason to poke at: Rumsfeld was apparently involved in brokering a deal to build nuclear reactors in North Korea. Joe Conason points us to a Fortune article. The chain goes something like this:
- Rumsfeld joins the board of ABB, a Swiss firm.
- ABB goes into talks to build reactors for Kim Jong Il; the board is asked for approval.
- In the mid-90's, Rumsfeld "probably" lobbies for approval from Washington.
- In 1994, a deal is cut wherein "the U.S. agreed to provide North Korea with two light-water nuclear reactors in exchange for Pyongyang ending its nuclear weapons program."
- ABB provides the designs and key componants for these reactors in exchange for US$200 million.
- Rumsfeld sits on the board of ABB until 2000, during which time he makes a number of speeches excoriating the Clinton administration for this 1994 deal.
- In 2003, North Korea announces it has nuclear weapons.