clap clap blog: we have moved


Friday, June 13, 2003
some questions about music
Why does Mazzy Star's "Fade Into You" sound like rain, or like it's raining while they were recording it, or like it's about to rain around you while you listen?

Why does Supertramp's "Take The Long Way Home" sound so good while walking to work on a rainy morning? (thanks for the tip, hil.)

Why does Lightning Bolt's "Two Towers On Fire" sound so good when there are actual lightning bolts flashing above your head? Is it really that literalist?

Why do good, old electronic bands make shitty sports themes now, i.e. Kraftwerk's "Tour De France 03" and New Order's "World in Motion"? The latter is a catchy but absolutely horrible song, I guess because they have nailed, as the Timelords would put it, The Golden Rules. I guess I could write a good world cup theme for the UK, but I'd have to brainwash Becks into liking noise-rock first...

Speaking of music: probably not too many posts today, as The Song Corporation has its first Manhattan gig tonight--7 pm @ Acme Underground! If you're in town, I'd love to see you there. Come say hi afterwards--I'll be the male who isn't playing drums.