clap clap blog: we have moved


Wednesday, July 09, 2003
So I saw Patti Smith last night at the World Financial Center. It was OK. I mean, she was real good, but I had gouged the hell out of my shoulder the previous night and there were these super-annoying hippie chicks "dancing" (in the loosest possible sense, seeing as how they sort of picked their own beat which was totally different from Patti's) to the music and making me want to beat them with my shoe, so it was hard to entirely enjoy it. Still, it's hard not to like a woman who looks like someone's cool, biker-bitch aunt, even if she does seem to use the same vocal tics over and over again. (Perils of a small range, I suppose.) And she did have a disproportionate number of lesbian roadies, so, uh...cool! Also--best part--the encore was a cover of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away" in the middle of which Patti picks up, swear to God, a clarinet and does a solo. And then she starts reciting the Declaration of Independence. For some reason.