clap clap blog: we have moved


Thursday, July 03, 2003
Well, the wind just got taken out of my sails for reasons I'd rather not get into, but before I go, I'd like to point you to one last place.

Over the past few months, David Neiwert has been conducting a very interesting investigation on his blog. It's about facism, and you can see the links to the whole series in the left-hand side of his front page. He discusses the various scholarly interpretations of what facism is, and finds out how difficult it is to define something that is primarily reactionary. But he does come up with a pretty good working definition, and from there he links it to the ideology of the American white supremicist / militia movement, and traces the way threads of that thought have made their way into the mainstream of conservatism.

Anyone who's read this blog for a while knows how hesitant I would be about posting a link that even appeared to make this charge ("Bush is a Nazi!" blah blah blah), but Neiwert is pretty ambiguous about it, and the info he gives is very useful, so I think it's an essential read.

I won't lie: I get a fascist vibe from Grover Nordquist. Anyone who's that passionate about drowning the government (through statist means no less!)...well, it just worries me, that's all. Here's hoping I'm wrong.