clap clap blog: we have moved


Thursday, August 21, 2003
Now, I don't engage in this kind of thing often, but: Frog Eyes are friggin' awesome. I just got back from seeing them, and the lead singer, Carey, is just a big pudgy sweaty spaz, and that's one of the biggest compliments I can give someone. And I mean spaz: like, red-faced, yelling, shaking, messy spaz. And really enthusiastic, too, despite some stage banter that edged uncomfortably close to bathos. And I couldn't even hear the words! But damn, it was neat. Here's a brief list of what I was reminded of:

The Pixies minus Joey
Meat Loaf (in a good way)
Tom Waits at 200 bpm
The Danielsen Famile, but louder and with less instruments

The best moment was probably when Casey sat down at the keyboard and took a while to adjust everything and you were expecting a slow piano ballad and then he turns to the drummer and she clicks her sticks four times and there's just this big whoosh of allegro noise. It was real neat.

Hopefully later today I'll post some more coherent stuff that I've been wanting to write for a while now. But if you get a chance to download some Frog Eyes, let me know what you think.

UPDATE: Upon further reflection and a good night's sleep (and a listen to the album) let me revise that to: Frog Eyes are friggin' awesome performers. The sound is much denser and faster and crazier live than on record. But it's still pretty cool.