clap clap blog: we have moved


Wednesday, December 10, 2003
Discussing Outkast over on the ol' mailing list, and a Mr. Hunter Felt made this really great point:

I just want to add that "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" is the only other non-Prince album I have ever heard that comes close to the surreal/party-loving twisted appeal of "Midnight Vultures" era Beck. I would give just a curiosity listen to, say, Big Boi's "Bowtie" or Andre 3000's "Spread" and see if they aren't exploring the same musical terrain. It's almost odd how two different artists from the mid-nineties managed to get to the same musical terrain after starting from two radically opposed beginnings (rambling, anti-folk and Southern gangsta rap). The mind boggles.


Yeah, Beck and Andre3000. Why didn't I think of that?

In other news, have I become a missionary for the Strokes or something? I seem to be continually defending them. I guess that's OK. I just really think people should give the new album a few listens before they dismiss it, because there's a lot of good there.