clap clap blog: we have moved


Wednesday, March 24, 2004
PF's AP replies to this.

Thanks for your letter. You've written to Pitchfork before, right?

I'm not sure I completely understand your issues with the piece. I said everything I needed/wanted to say about Ryan Adams' music when I wrote a review of his latest record; by the time this interview began, my distaste for his music was already well-implied. Had Ryan Adams wanted for a second to argue with me about the validity of that piece, I would have (happily) backed it up point-by-point. I would have read it out loud. I would have performed a dramatic interpretation. But, as evidenced in the first question I asked ("Do you think it was unfair?"), he had very little interest in disputing it. In fact, he went on to be exceedingly dismissive of his own work, and of Rock N Roll in particular. By all means, please point me to one instance where I failed to "defend my shit." I was DYING to defend my shit.

To be honest, I'm not especially interested in celebrities acting stupid, or in celebrities in general. Adams has already been well-chastised for acting like a child; I have no interest in behaving like one myself. For me, this was a legitimate interview, it wasn't the idiotic pissing match were hoping for. And I am not a dancing monkey, dude.

Best,
Amanda