clap clap blog: we have moved


Thursday, March 25, 2004
Two songs I'm now appreciating differently:

1) "Boys Don't Cry." Heard it first in the context of the movie of the same name, and it was hard to separate from some time. But now I'm listening to it amongst other Cure songs, and all I think of is "Tears of a Clown."

2) "Beautiful Day." I guess I'm just a sucker for songs that sound like their titles, but this one really does, all of a sudden. They played it at the conclusion of a Smallville episode I saw last night, while Clark and Lana were sitting on an almost theatrically fake windmill with big blue sky spread out around them. Maybe I just miss the summer, but it really sounded good. It sounded not like a city's beautiful days, but like one in more open spaces, especially while driving. Again, I think it's the new context--the video's all airplanes and stuff, and it's very nice, but this just doesn't feel that ultra-modern to me. The electronics of the track just make it feel pop, not electronic, and pop is the soundtrack of banality, not slickness.

And while we're talking about the Cure: specifically which song does the Rapture's "Olio" sound like? "A Forest"? Or something else?