clap clap blog: we have moved
Wednesday, June 30, 2004
100 SONGS THAT POP INTO MY HEAD AT THE MOMENT
What it says. Hitting "random" on the iPod...in my mind. No fact-checking, no revisions. And you thought this blog was self-indulgent before!
1) Jean Leloup - "I Lost My Baby" (playing at the time)
2) Hefner - one of those electro songs from the last album
3) Those three-piece British fellows that are sort of glammy...what the hell is their name? Well, you know who I'm talking about. One or two great songs per album, the rest crap, that sort of thing. Who am I thinking about?
4) Pulp - "Babies" I want to write a musical with Jarvis Cocker. People would burst into song in the middle of the street for no reason and it would be very narrative and cutting and awesome. Jarvis would be a super-spy, maybe.
5) That french rap song from the 90s with the baby.
6) Beach Boys - "God Only Knows" Something about strings. Strings? Synth-strings? Well, nothing's coming to mind.
7) LCD Soundsystem - "Losing My Edge" Trying to think of bands.
8) Louden Wainwright III - I don't know any of his songs but I like his name.
9) Thurston Howell III - Er, this is the nom de musique of someone in some band. I think I like them. Oh wait, it's some undie hip-hop group, and I don't.
10) Edan - "Rapperfection" which I still like (thanks Beau)
11) Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch - Walk On The Wild Side Didn't realize until a few years ago how weird it was that they changed all the lyrics!
12) EMF - "Unbelievable"
13) Dizee Rascal - "Fix Up Look Sharp" I heard this in Urban Outfitters the other day. How commercial! I liked it.
14) Los Amigos Invisable - "Disco Anal" Best title ever?
15) ELO - "Mr. Blue Sky"
16) Martha Stewart - "Living, 5/19/02." I don't know what this would be, but I wish people would refer to TV show audio elements like they would jamband bootlegs. "Hey man, put on "Will & Grace 3/14/01..."
17) Garth Brooks - Uh, something. I should listen to more Garth Brooks. Well, any Garth Brooks at all. How did I go through adolesence in upstate New York and miss this? I guess I just didn't notice it, like with Luther Vandross and Celine Dion.
18) Celine Dion - "My Heart Will Go On" I think I remember like exactly four notes of this.
19) Beavis & Butt-Head - Theme
20) King of the Hill - Theme Good theme songs to Mike Judge shows.
21) Erland Oye - That bit from the DJ-Kicks album with "One After 909."
22) Boredoms - Track 14 from Pop Tartari (never could remember track names from that damn thing)
23) Kid 606 - "My Kitten"
24) Corey Hart - "Sunglasses at Night"
25) Mike Dean - some Kurupt track. Sometimes my job starts to meld with my hobby.
26) Wasp - anything at all!!!
27) Scorpions - "Big City Nights"
28) White Lion - ??? Bad with my hair-metal titles, the band names are better anyway.
29) Metallica - "Master of Puppets"
30) Mekons - "We Got the Bomb" I should listen to more Mekons
31) The girl from Ash - "Kim Wilde" Cause it's playing right now and it's awesome! I wish I understood the Kim Wilde thing. Oh well.
32) Bad Brains - I should listen to more Bad Brains
33) Wilco - "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" Or, "I Am Trying To Eat Your Farts."
34) Tom Petty and the Heartbreaks - "It's Good to be King"
35) The Beatles - "Hard Day's Night"
36) Fiery Furnaces "We Got Back the Plague" (I actually thought of this after the Mekons but got distracted) It's about Bush!
37) The Monkees - "Daydream Believer" Used to be my favorite song in the world.
38) Outkast - "Roses"
39) Bon Jovi - "Blaze of Glory"
40) Bon Jovi - "You Give Love a Bad Name"
41) John Mellencamp - "Down to Tennessee"
42) Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Art Star"
43) Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out"
44) "Jesus Christ Superstar"
45) Gilda Radner - doing her awesome Patti Smith impersonation
46) "Marrow of my Boner" I should write a song called this.
47) Belle and Sebastian - "Lazy Line Painter Jane" I'm actually thinking of a different B&S song, but this is the title that popped into my head.
48) "Happy Trails" I like the happy trail.
49) Dio - something or other
50) Lisa Loeb - "Stay" I hate you, Lisa Loeb.
51) Billy Joel - "River of Dreams"
52) Billy Joel - "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant"
53) Meat Puppets - "Backwater"
54) Phish - "Run Like an Antelope"
55) Joe Cocker - "I Get By With a Little Help From my Friends"
56) Steve Miller - "Fly Like an Eagle"
57) Destiny's Child - "Independent Woman pt. 2" There's a connection between these last two, but it's a long story.
58) Moldy Peaches - "Steak From Chicken"
59) Moldy Peaches - "Who's Got the Crack"
60) Strong Bad - "Dangeresque pt. 2"
61) Brak - "Fluffy" One of the best punchlines ever: "What died in here?"
62) Lenny Kraviz - "Are You Gonna Go My Way"
63) Kanye West - "All Falls Down" Lenny interviewed Kanye in Jane magazine, which I was reading a different section of last night, and I almost bought the ringtone for this yesterday while waiting in line to see David Foster Wallace and George Saunders.
64) The Strokes - "Last Night" I like the Strokes a lot, but the intern in the cubicle next to me needs to stop listening to both their albums twice a day before I kill either him or Fab. Hey, given that David Lee Roth is on the LES now, if we killed Julian, does that mean Dave could front the Strokes? And how awesome would that be?
65) Van Halen - "Jump" Because, well, you know
66) Girls Aloud - "Jump For My Love"
67) House of Pain - "Jump Around" (I could go on all day!)
68) Holst - "The Planets" Hackneyed, I know, but still kinda fun.
69) Cher - "Just Like Jesse James" No connection; just heard someone say "Jesse."
70) Beck - "One Foot in the Grave" Thought I heard someone say "Bong Load."
71) Ramones - "Beat on the Brat"
72) "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
73) Jerry Lee Lewis - "Great Balls of Fire"
74) "It's a Jolly Holliday With Mary"
75) Donovan (?) - "Jennifer Juniper"
76) The Carter Family - "Were You There When They Crucified My Lord"
77) The KLF - "Last Train to Transcentral"
78) Leonard Cohen - "Suzanne" Want to make a covers album with Leonard Cohen and make him cover "Baby One More Time" and "Beautiful."
79) John Lee Hooker - just about anything
80) Neil Young - "Cortez the Killer"
81) XTC - "I'm the Man Who Murdered Love"
82) Eric Clapton - "Cocaine" Diet Coke can in my trash, usage in F9/11.
83) Eagle Eye Cherry - Uh, what was the name of that song again? Leave Tonight? Something like that.
84) Buck Cherry - that song about cocaine which I've always kind of hated
85) Limp Bizkit - "Nookie" Which is kinda fun, actually.
86) Richard Pryor - Live on the Sunset Strip (OK, I'm cheating now)
87) Sifl & Olly - "Whatever"
88) Evolution Control Committee - er, something or other
89) Black Sabbath - "War Pigs"
90) Pink Floyd - "Money"
91) Iggy Pop - "Nightclubbing"
92) Elvis Presley - "Mystery Train"
93) Elvis Costello - "Radio Radio"
94) Abbott & Costello - "Who's On First"
95) The Prodigy - "Firestarter"
96) Edith Piaf "Je Ne Regrette Rien"
97) PJ Harvey - "Long Snake Moan"
98) Primus - "Too Many Puppies"
99) Faith No More - "Epic"
100) Aphex Twin - "Ventolin"