clap clap blog: we have moved


Friday, June 18, 2004
Last night Miss Clap and I burned a bunch of indie-rock CDs for her 50-something dad (for Father's Day, natch). He'd been pretty staid in previous years, but recently has been getting into bands like Wilco and Fountains of Wayne, the latter of which was delivered by a 50-something male on a motorcycle, apparently a friend of his. You know what I'm saying. And so anyway, here's the list of what we burned and what we almost burned. It's too late now, but any additions/suggestions? Miss Clap thought that, given the Wilco, we should try and stay in that vein, so there were a few that I thought he might like (particularly cabaret-pop like Scott Walker/Gavin Friday) that got rejected, and of course we didn't even attempt electronic stuff, really; plus, Miss Clap's sister had previously burned him some Chicago post-rock kinda CDs. Some of these are pretty obvious choices, but some of them are pushing a little. Anyway...

...oh, and before I hit the list, I just realized what Fountains of Wayne should have suggested: power pop! D'oh! Well, I'll make him a mix.

BURNED
Carla Bozulich - Red Headed Stranger
Pixies - Doolittle
Elvis Costello - This Year's Model (granted, "Armed Forces" might have been a better choice, but all my CDs are in big piles right now, waiting to be moved, and so this list is partially dependent on what I could actually dig up)
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs, Disc 1
PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her
Pulp - Different Class
TV on the Radio - Young Liars EP
Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out
Spoon - Kill the Moonlight
Mogwai - Come On Die Young
...and one more which I appear to be forgetting

ALMOST BURNED
Mountain Goats - Talahassee
Beck - Sea Change
Cornelius - Point