clap clap blog: we have moved


Wednesday, January 05, 2005
If you want the definition of "rambling" you could pretty much go with my year-end roundup, which you will not get to see for a month, suckas, as it has been submitted as my P&J comments. (Or, um, will be shortly.) It is 3000 words, for which I am profoundly sorry, Chuck and Nick. If you'd rather I edit it down before I subject you to it, you know, drop me a line.

Oh, ballot as it was submitted, except with the album rankings changed to reflect the fact that I only assigned things 15, 10, or 5 points:

1. MIA/Diplo - Piracy FundsTerrorism, Vol. 1
1. Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters
1. Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
2. MeowMeow - Snow Gas Bones
2. Strong Bad - StrongBad Sings!
2. Courtney Love - America's Sweetheart
2. Gwen Stefani - Love. Angel. Music. Baby.
3 .Annie - Anniemal - 679
3. Killers - Hot Fuss - Island 3
3. Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free

1. Kelly Clarkson - "Since U Been Gone" - RCA
2. Eamon - "Fuck It" - Vibe
3. Dykehouse - "Chainsmoking" - Ghostly International
4. LCD Soundsystem - "Yeah (Crass Version)"- DFA
5. Helen Love - "Debbie Loves Joey" - Sympathy for the Record Industry
6.Janet Jackson - "Love Me For a Little While" - Virgin
7. Kanye West - "All FallsDown" - Roc-a-Fella
8. Britney Spears - "Toxic" - Vibe
9. The Knife - "Heartbeats" - V2
10. Rachel Stevens - "Some Girls" - Universal

I feel a lot better about the albums, for which I give eternal thanks to the points system that allows me to simply group stuff into tiers rather than actually rank it, than the singles, which underwent heavy modification at the last minute. (Compare with the Flagpole list.) Partially this was due to the need to remove the Candypants song (curse you, temporality!), but it was also due to being weirdly dissatisfied with the whole thing, which perhaps is simply reflective of the fact that my taste in singles really does change every 3 months. I could publish a more extensive list if the desire exists, but I assume it doesn't. Generally, I only included things that were released in 2004, and I didn't duplicate any artists, even cross-list, so although I might like to vote for the Dykehouse album or "Mono," I decided not to, although I kinda regret that now. In my desire to have a list I was satisfied with, I did break the former rule with "Heartbeats," which was either released in 2003 or will be released in 2005, and hit in 2003 anyway, but what the fuck, I like it and would like to see it do well.

In an unrelated matter, this is awesome. I want a particle beam digital record player!