clap clap blog: we have moved


Thursday, January 06, 2005
On one of my mailing lists, I have started a game. It is called, "name a short story, then name a song that goes along with it, and explain why."

My first entry: Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man Is Hard to Find" and Radiohead's "No Surprises."

Reason: sunny but cold, calmly menacing, slowly revealing itself from unremarkable beginnings.

I'll post other entries as they come in, but if anyone wants to contribute here, it would be more than welcome. Post in the comments or e-mail them to me and I'll append to this post.

UPDATES:

From Marcus Gray-

Not a short story but a poem, "Sylvia's Death" by Anne Sexton, which I'm
reminded of whenever I listen to"Colors and the Kids" by Cat Power. This song I
find so upsetting that I now limit listening to it to during just one month a
year, this one, mainly on account of that line about January nights, and because
this is a month for grieving.

From Jean-Paul-
The first 35 pages (that's all I read) of Less than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis and "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" by Smashing Pumpkins, experienced in tandem this morning in someone else's apartment.

Reason: Do I even need to say?
From the improbably-named "Humberto Torofuerte"-
Suicide Blonde by Darcey Steinke - Suicide Blonde by INXS

From mike jolkovski-

"Bartleby the Scrivner" by Herman Melville, Radiohead, "How to Disappear
Completely"

More soon.