clap clap blog: we have moved


Friday, January 28, 2005
SONGS I LISTENED TO THIS YEAR THAT I LIKE A LOT(SILTTYTILAL) #6-2005: SALT 5, "GET UP! RAPPER"

I've discussed this before, but I want to say specifically why this song is awesome, or at least one explanation. Let me lay out the genres this song emcompasses.

- Dancehall. The one-bass-note, syncopated-kick-hits in the verse, plus the somewhat monotonic vocals therein.

- Hip-hop. Actually not a whole lot of rapping in a song presumably about a rapper, but aside from the title, there is a shoutout of the group's name in the intro, as well as the sporadic P. Diddy-ish backup spoken male vocals ("C'mon" etc.) throughout the verse.

- Glam. The "We Are The Champions" stomp-stomp-clap beat runs inexplicably through the chorus, but it works.

- Hair metal. The guitar solos following the choruses (which I swear are exactly like another guitar solo somewhere that I just can't put my finger on, goddamnit), plus the mass chanting on the chorus, which is very reminiscent of Def Lep.

- Swedish pop. All the little cut-up vocal samples as well as the very sharp sound of the drums, and the little Richard Xy noises in the verse.

- P-funk. The synth hook in the intro.

So, you know, it's a Japanese dancehall/hip-hop/glam/now-pop/p-funk/hair metal song. And it's fantastic.