clap clap blog: we have moved


Tuesday, March 22, 2005
I did buy a new release today, though, in addition to the aforementioned perusing. And it was, of course, Arular.

As you may or may not know, I was intentionally holding out on hearing the complete album until release day. I don't quite know why, but I think it had something to do with trying to experience it as someone who wasn't a rock critic would. As much as I could, anyway--obviously it's not like I've been on a MIA-fast the last few months. But I wanted to try and experience it in something like real time.

It was sort of weird listening to it at first, because I hearing it in ideological terms--paying more attention to the ideas and stances than the stuff going on. And while it is sort of interesting in those terms (you could chart the album as a series of rising and falling and splitting ideological throughlines), it wasn't what I'd been waiting to hear.

Luckily, the more I listen to it, the more that effect goes away. And while it's not quite as good as I'd like it to be--what is?--and it doesn't sound as good on headphones or computer speakers as it does booming out through a PA, it's still pretty fantastic. "Amazon" is menacing and sexy, "Hombre" is bratty and boppy, and "10$" should really be released as a single--that's some ass-clapping magesty right there.

Now I just sit and wait for a sunglass-wearing gang consisting of MIA, Diplo, Justine, Steve, and Richard X to come and rescue me from my job. Soon, soon.