clap clap blog: we have moved


Friday, August 19, 2005
Those of you in, around, or sympathetic to academia will probably enjoy the 8-18-05 post from Chris' blog, which is a lovely little thing about why we pursue higher degrees.

There's a tendency among grad students to impute selfish, pedestrian motives to themselves in both going to grad school in the first place and in their own particular field of study...Matt, who will be pursuing his PHD at Iowa this year, once told me that he studies German history because he likes German beer and he has lots of excuses to go to Germany and drink it. I'm setting up my own PHD program applications these days and it occurred to me just how disengenuous those purported motives are ("I do it so I don't have to get a real job" or "I like to read a lot" or whatever.) We do it because we're horribly, horribly ambitious. (emphasis mine)
More at th'blog.