clap clap blog: we have moved


Monday, November 21, 2005

The things you learn:

Gordon recalls that he and his colleagues fancied themselves the intellectual descendants of George Orwell and Edmund Wilson, with bits of Evelyn Waugh and P.G. Wodehouse thrown in for levity's sake...Jacob Weisberg, Slate's editor and a former Yale Daily News staffer, says, "Harvard is the place where people make more aggressively oracular pronouncements. At Yale, it was more like covering the anti-apartheid rally as if it were the invasion of Grenada."
Huh. See, during my four years at a college newspaper, I mainly thought of myself as me, and my concerns were writing well and possibly getting people to write angry letters about me. (I failed in the latter ambition.) I also had no idea I was supposed to be angling for a plush summer internship. If only I could have traveled into the future and watched episodes from last season's Gilmore Girls!

Of course, I also turned down an offer to be arts editor because I didn't want to deal with not sleeping one night a week, i.e. I was lazy. So it's less that I'm bitter and more that I'm surprised. I didn't even know this kind of thing was an option!